National Cake Week recipe - chocolate & raspberry gateau
11:17 24 September 2015
© 2015, Photopia Photography
If you are looking for a recipe to enjoy for National Cake Week (5-11 October), this recipe from Doves Farm is the perfect teatime treat
The secret ingredient is Potato Flour (£1.49 - 150g available at independent health food stores nationwide, Ocado and at dovesfarm.co.uk) which is gluten free and is used widely in Scandinavian baking. This stunning gateau has a beautiful light sponge, courtesy of the Potato Flour, and the chocolate and raspberries are a winning combination.
Ingredients (for the sponge)
• 75g Potato Flour
• 25g Cocoa
• 2tsp Baking Powder
• 3 Eggs
• 100g Caster Sugar
• 300g Raspberries
Ingredients (for the filling & topping)
• 75g White Chocolate
• 150ml Double Cream
• 1tbsp Caster Sugar
• 75g Plain Chocolate
• 15g Butter
• ½ tsp Icing Sugar
• 2x8”/20cm round loose bottom tins
To make the sponge
• Put the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a bowl. Set aside.
• Separate the eggs and beat the whites until stiff. Beat in the sugar a spoonful at a time.
• In another bowl, beat the yolks until they thicken slightly. Fold the yolk into the egg white with a metal spoon.
• Sieve half of the dry ingredients into the bowl and mix using a cutting and folding action with the metal spoon. Next sieve in the remaining flour and fold in.
• Divide the mixture between two parchment-lined 20cm/8” round loose bottom cake tins. Smooth the tops and bake in a pre-heated oven for 35 minutes.
• Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes then remove the cake from the tins.
To make the filling
• Whip half the cream until thick. Meanwhile, melt the white chocolate for 40 seconds in a microwave then stir this into the whipped cream. Spread over one half of the cake, then sandwich the other half on top.
To make the topping
• Heat the remaining cream, the sugar and the butter and stir until just boiling. Add the plain chocolate and stir until melted, then leave to cool for 5 minutes. Spread over the top of the cake and press the raspberries into the warm chocolate topping. Dust the raspberries with the icing sugar using a sieve.
• Temperature & cooking time: 180°C/Fan 160°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 35 minutes.
• Dietary status: Without Gluten, Without Nuts, Without Soya.
• Please note: Dietary status is a guideline only. If you have a food allergy, please check the suitability of your ingredients.
• 5 sweet dishes you would need to know if Bake Off was in the Downton Abbey era - If The Great British Bake Off was taking place at Downton Abbey and Mrs Patmore was one of the judges she would expect bakers to be able to master these 5 bakes, all of which have featured in the show, and be able to serve them to guests at the Abbey. But would the Mary Berry of the early 20th century be a forgiving judge…?
• Recipe: Hot chocolate tart, lemon curd ice cream and salted caramel popcorn - Crumbly pastry, rich chocolate and zesty lemon - whether a dinner party dessert or a luxurious treat for chocoholics, this tart is a winner!